Thursday, May 7, 2009

I caught a mouse

Katie was a mouse catcher. She never ate them, just killed them.

Katie was so funny, when she had something in her mouth - a ball, a rope, a bone - she would walk around giving this "rowwwrrrr, rowwwrrrr, rowwwrrrr" noise, a deep, throaty growl but with a sound like a quiet claxon crossed with a starter motor. I'm sure that she could talk.

Floyd is an excellent frog and mouse alarm. He goes crazy barking when he sees either and that's how I really knew there was a bit of a mouse problem under the pergola. I don't know what he'd do if he could catch the mice, though.

I put out some of those silver-grey plastic traps with some nice, sticky peanut butter on them as bait. No joy for days.

Thismorning one of the traps was missing.... where? Did a quick search and it was over near the edge of the slab, where I think the mice have burrowed a home under there for winter, their winter digs? I pulled it out of the gap between the slab and the board beside the slab. The mouse was still attached, the trap had caught him by the leg.

Now I have to figure out what to do with him.

The little treats I put in the ceiling for the mice don't seem to be appealing to them, and I think the Slab tribe is different from the Ceiling tribe.

No comments: