Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sad

Tonight I had a call from a best friend in Sydney. I haven't seen her for years, but we are still in contact as I am with many of my longstanding friends. We spent most of our teen years together.

She called to let me know that a friend had passed away yesterday. He was one of our peer group in the 70s, and at one stage her boyfriend and fiancĂ©, however, that didn't work out and they went their separate ways in the 70s. She supported him through his university studies (geology at Sydney Uni) and I met her through him, he lived with his large family five houses from my parents' place.

This punches home my mortality. I am quite sad, even though I haven't seen nor heard from him for over 30 years, it is a shock. He was only 56, quite fit, and only had gall stone surgery. Then they discovered pancreatitis. His death was sudden. Gone too soon.

He is survived by a wife and two children.

Vale Peter.

1 comment:

missred said...

The sadness happens when someone you have known dies no matter how long it has been since you have seen them. I have heard of deaths recently and even though I haven't seen or even been in touch for 30 years, a little light that was in my life gets a bit dim. Memories keep those lights alive.