Friday, August 15, 2008

Equine Hendra survivor, Tamworth, to be euthanased today


This is still happening.

Authorities move to euthanase Hendra virus horse

The Queensland Department of Primary Industries (DPI) says the only horse to recover from Hendra virus at a Brisbane vet clinic will be put down this morning.

Four horses died during the outbreak in July at the Redlands Veterinary Clinic on Brisbane's bayside.

Two staff from the clinic being treated for the potentially deadly virus remain in hospital.
Sure, there is a risk. I wonder if the reaction here is because of the equine influenza outbreak which caused havoc with racing, recreational and employment horse riders.

I am surprised at the lack of knowledge by some people, I guess they don't have google access?
Bats.

From brief reading, rabies (Rhabdoviridae) is a family of genus Lyssavirus, order Mononegavirales. (Gr. "lyssa" = madness). Hendra is different, however, they are both carried by bats/flying foxes which are not affected by the viruses.

I might do some more research on this tonight. I find it very interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did it happen? Very sad, this horse in the wrong place at the wrong time - went to the clinic with a minor ailment and caught the virus there.
I would like to say that I think the Qld DPI have missed a terrific chance to keep this horse alive and monitor its progress and thus gain research in the fight against this killer virus.
I heard the owner speak on radio. He was all for keeping the horse alive for research purposes.