Friday, October 30, 2009

Smoking is still legal, isn’t it?

Well, not in Queeensland. Not from January first 2010. Not if your passenger is under 16.

QUEENSLAND PARLIAMENT PASSES TOUGH NEW ANTI-SMOKING LAWS
Deputy Premier and Minister for Health
The Honourable Paul Lucas
29/10/2009

Queensland Parliament today passed tough new laws to stop people from smoking in cars carrying children.

Deputy Premier and Minister for Health, Paul Lucas said the legislation was the latest Government crackdown in a long line of anti-smoking reforms.

Queensland is leading the nation with the toughest anti-smoking laws in the country including smoking bans for indoor and outdoor public places, as well tough restrictions on retail advertising, display and promotion of tobacco products.

The latest ban was passed, as part of a raft of measures contained in the Health and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2009 in Queensland Parliament today.

It is anticipated the new laws will start from January 2010 and apply on all public roads.

Read more here.

I heard this on the way to work thismorning and I was just so angry.

How long will it be before smoking in your own home is banned?

I don't smoke, I used to. I don't particularly like inconsiderate smokers, but I think it's a bit rude to ban someone from smoking in their own car. Sure, it's "for the children", but honestly, kids will nag their parents for smoking, I know my brother used to nag Dad (it didn't work).

3 comments:

Kathy Farrelly said...

Yep.. Bloody ridiculous, I agree, Kae.
Especially when you consider there are so many more important issues.. like the sad state of our health system for example..

I have friends that smoke. They go outside. No skin off my nose. They don't blow it in my face ffs!

Carpe Jugulum said...

And so the nanny state creeps ever forward.

I was wondering what these mandacious harridans would try to regulate if suddenly everyone gave up the fags immediately, probably alcohol (for the sake of the children of course). Said it before, Victoria is a shambles but Queensland is a train wreck.

Boy on a bike said...

Haven't they ever heard of winding down the bloody window?

Sheesh!