Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Oh-oh, now I've got a geyser!

Oh-oh, storm's coming... Sister in law phoned to tell me she'd just had 2 inches of rain dumped on her place in 30 minutes or so. There was a storm warning for my location expected to arrive by 6:25pm. Well, I can tell them that it was already here at 6:05pm. I saw the clouds bulging underneath and moving really quickly across the sky. See:

Then, after the calm the blowing, then rapid reduction in temperature, the rain started. I checked the gauge after about 10-15 minutes and there was almost 40mm. I think there's been a lot more because it's still raining now 6:55, but it was raining quite heavily from about 6:05 until about 6:45. Okay, just checked the rain gauge, 79mm!!!!! Which explains the geyser.....

And I couldn't not put this gratuitous pic of my boy Floyd in right here....
UPDATE:
bit of background info, temperatures haven't been very high during the flooding and for almost a week afterward, but the past three days up to today have been scorchers. Forecast temp on Monday was supposed to be 32, it was 35,Tuesday's forecast was for 34, but it was 37. Today's forecast was for 30, but it was 35. MDFD and I were lamenting how we miss winter, we'd even put up with dry skin to be cool and dry! (It's really, really humid which makes it seem much hotter.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kae, forgive an ol broad's failing eyesight - what is causing that lovely but unwanted fountain?

kae said...

The concrete tank is my water tank, I have reticulated town water (trickle feed), and also the water off the roof goes into the tank. The white waterpipes are from the roof of the house and the tank is full.... the outlet at the back, which I can't get to in the rain is probably gushing out, too.

Happens when the storm dumps more then three inches in 30 minutes.... Bet the creek will be up in 8 hours.

Merilyn said...

Boy Kae, you Floyd and Meg are sure coping it.
Do you want that bit of rubber hose back, to go after a certain person......."never rain again eh?"

Merilyn said...

Get a load of this Kae, way to treat the Australian Army, guess it is because they ARE Australians and not "boat People".
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/edinburgh-troops-dont-like-new-digs/story-fn6bqphm-1225991350601
The Boat people at Woodside are in brick buildings.

Carpe Jugulum said...

Hi Floyd

How goes the plan for world domination??

I await your instruction my canine brother.............

PS - Don't tell Kae........i think she suspects.

Merilyn said...

Sheesh Carpe, just came over to see if Kae wanted the hose back, and there you are letting out state secrets.

Minicapt said...

I don't think it's a geyser, I think something's practicing: http://australianmuseum.net.au/BlogPost/Fish-Bits/Archerfish-sharpshooters-of-the-mangroves

Cheers

kae said...

Erm
No mangroves there... I hope!