Bureau of MeteorologyQueensland Regional Office
The Standard Emergency Warning Signal should NOT be used with this message.
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SOUTHEAST QUEENSLAND
for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONESFor people in the GOLD COAST CITY and parts of the LOGAN CITY and SCENIC RIM Council Areas.
Issued at 1:47 pm Sunday, 16 November 2008.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 1:50 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near the McPherson Range, Springbrook, Numinbah Valley and Laravale. These thunderstorms are moving towards the northeast to southeast. They are forecast to affect Coolangatta, Beaudesert, Nerang and Mount Tamborine by 2:20 pm and Coomera, Hope Island, Jimboomba and South Stradbroke Island by 2:50 pm.
Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters. *
Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 2:45 pm.